Do you remember when you made the transition from technical leader to technical people leader? Do you remember your challenges and the “identity crisis”?
Join Pit and Pete as they discuss their transition from technical leaders to people leaders and some of the things that they experience along the way.
In this episode, we chat about:
- Being in a new role. Slowing down to speed up, and learning
- Letting your team learn at their pace, you may do things faster now, but how does that help them?
- Knowing your words now carry a different weight with the team you are leading, choose your words wisely.
- Relationship management: You have a new peer group, build an maintain those new relationships, and have 1:1’s with your new peers
- Expectation management: Do you need to be in a meeting? What is the expected outcome?
- Continue to learn, read books, talk to people, have mentors; everyone is a leader, and continue your personal and professional development.
Books/Readings that helped us:
- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin: Extreme Ownership, The Dichotomy of Leadership, Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual
- Tools of Titans – Tim Ferris
- Heroic Leadership – Chris Lowney
- Atomic Habits – James Clear
And our website is here: The Elevators
You may also like to check:
How to start professional development
There are no bad teams, just bad leaders
Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
Heroic Leadership – lessons on how to be a good leader
Thanks for reading!
If you enjoyed this article, feel free to share it on social media and spread some positivity.